Video tutorial & screenshots
The following review written by one of the Software Informer contributors applies to version 6.0
Knowing one's origin and learning about one's ancestors in an important thing for many people, and RootsMagic is an application created especially for them. It can help them track and organize their family history with ease and at a very reasonable price.
This efficient program provides you with all the tools you need to create your own family tree. You can enter a large amount of information regarding each family member, establish relations between your ancestors, print reports, create charts and perform many other tasks related to the creation of a family tree.
The application offers three display modes: Pedigree, Family and Descendents. Personally, I prefer the Pedigree view as you can observe a lot easier the relations between your family members and get a clearer idea of the structure of your family tree. The other two methods just show you a list with the names of your family members and don't offer you the same clarity when it comes to understanding what the relations between the descendants are.
Another advantage of using this program is the fact that you can back up and restore the created family tree whenever you like. However, there's a small aspect that bothers me: you can save the family tree only to the RMGC format (which can be opened only by RootsMagic).
To conclude, I think that RootsMagic is a smart addition to my collection of programs as it provides me with all the tools I need to create my own family tree and it simplifies the entire process of organizing my family history.
- User-friendly interface.
- Comes with plenty of useful tools.
- You can back up and restore the created family tree.
- You can add all sort of information about each family member.
- The family tree can be saved only in RMGC format.
What's new in version 6.0
-Publish your family information to RootsMagic website
-Dynamic sites with pedigree, family and individual views for each person
-Can include notes, sources, and media for each person
-Shows a full timeline of the current person's events and those of their parents, siblings, spouses, and children
-Shows a graphical timeline of the person's events
-Edit events, names, directly from the timeline view (without having to open the edit screen)
-Lets you look up counties and states (US, Canada, UK, Australia) to view information about them
-Access the FamilySearch Wiki page for counties and states
-Access an interactive state map showing historical county boundaries
-Attach links to websites to any person, source, citation, place, or research log item
-Instantly jump to a web page tagged to a record
-Print a list of WebTags you have added to your database
-Find every record containing text you enter
-Find people, families, events, notes, sources, places, to-do items, research logs, media items, and more
-Edit any found record directly from the results screen
-Search for people by the number of spouses, children, parents, or siblings that they have
-Select people based on genetic lines (Y-STR and Mitochondrial)
-Create a WebTag directly from your search results
-Optionally use an external browser for search results
-View place detail information directly from the place list
-Edit place detail notes, media, etc. directly from the place list
-Create unlimited research logs to document your work and aid your research
-Quickly search for any text in any research log
-Automatically checks every county you enter (US, Canada, UK, Australia) to verify that it actually existed at the time of the event
-Report gives you a list of all events in counties which didn't exist at the time
-Lets you access maps and county histories for the US, Canada, UK, and Australia
-Test the integrity of the database file
-Re-index the database
-Compress deleted records from the database
-Includes all family events on a date, as well as famous births and deaths and historical events for the day
-Shows who in your file was possibly in a given location on a given date
-Filter to show any group of people
-Allows easy tagging of images with the people, families, events, places, or sources
-Enter comments on any media tag
-See type, status, priority and description in a single list
-Sort by type, status, priority, or task description
-Filter by type, status, or priority
-Hover tips for notes and sources for every fact
-Easily view all to-do items for a person and their families
-Easily view all media items for a person, their events, and families
-New tabbed source edit screen streamlines source entry
-Direct descendant list shows the direct line from an ancestor to a descendant
-Henry, D'Aboville, and outline numbering
-Wordwrap option conserves space
-Print all events which occurred within a certain distance of any place
-Include markers for events of family members of the selected person
-Displays the primary image for the highlighted place
-Displays the place details for the highlighted place
-Select the font / size for the lists on the edit person, Explorer, and select person screens.
What's new in version 5.0
- Database tools let you test the file integrity, rebuild indexes, and compress database to remove deleted records
- People List View (Customizeable)
- Timeline View puts a person’s life in context with events from their own life and from the lives of family members
- All information for a person is shown on a single streamlined 'Edit person' window
- Add unlimited people, facts/events, notes, sources, and more
- CountyCheck analyzes places as you enter them to let you know if you enter a county or state that didn't exist on the date you entered
- Descendant List - An indented list of the descendants for a person
- Place List - A list of the places in the database
- CountyCheck lists events and places in your file where a county or state didn't exist on the date of the event
- "On This Day" List - bring your family history to life and view family events along with famous births, deaths, and historical events for any given day of the year.
- Media Tagging - tag your media with people, families, sources, or places. For example, tag an image of a census record with the people, families, and places mentioned in the record as well as the census’ source citation
- Add source documentation to any person, fact, or family
- Research Manager - avoid “reinventing the wheel” by keeping track of research goals, sources, and results that you have collected on a person, family, or place
- "To-do" list lets you keep track of research you still need to do for any person or family
- Mapping people and places
RootsMagic is the award-winning genealogy software which makes researching, organizing, and sharing your family history easy.
This program provides you with all the tools you need to create your own family tree. You can enter a large amount of information regarding each family member, establish relations between your ancestors, print reports, create charts and perform many other tasks related to the creation of a family tree.
Leave a comment